Hi everyone, so this is the blog post I have been waiting to do. Get ready... This is my reaction to Mariah Carey's live vocals.
(Also, watch the videos because if not, I'm just talking to myself here. React with me!)
In chronological order of her career... of course.
1. Traveling back to 1990... here is Mariah Carey's first live performance.
A YOUNG SKINNY LEGEND IN THE MAKING! This was Mariah's first time performing live introducing herself as a recording artist and the stadium was left with a roar of excitement. Mariah Carey is one of two vocalists with a five-octave range and her whistle note threw everyone for a loop.
2. I couldn't leave 1990 without including Mariah's first SNL performance singing the song that started her career. Those whistles, low notes, belts, growls... I wasn't born yet but America was shook.
3. EMOTIONS. LISTEN TO HER SING LOWER THAN YOUR DAD AND HIGHER THAN A BIRD ALL IN ONE SONG.
4. A couple of years have now passed and Mariah Carey is getting some serious attention. And with all the fame comes haters. In 1992 Mariah Carey performed on MTV Unplugged to prove that her voice was not a studio creation. So she sang her most difficult songs completely live and let everyone doubting her take a seat, several actually.
5. Mid 90s... Concerts, tours, a psycho manager/husband that wouldn't let her leave her home unless it was to perform. BUT VOCALLY THRIVING. Listen for yourself.
6. And let's not forget about her Christmas album that came out in 1994! THAT IS STILL CHARTING OVER 20 YEARS LATER! I know, it's your favorite Christmas song. Mine too, mine too.
7. Patti Labelle and Mariah Carey dominated 1998 together. Don't believe me. WATCH THESE!!!
Catch Mariah swatting flies while singing a tribute to Patti Labelle, a rare talent. AND singing what is now and should forever be the original version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, or at least the only one that matters. I watch the video daily, I have no shame. This live tribute is one of the only reasons I use SoundCloud.
I'm sorry, did anyone else just hear her WHISTLE OVER PATTI LABELLE BELTING???
8. Not a performance but this is when she was awarded ARTIST OF THE MILLENNIUM.
9. For anyone still recovering from hearing Fergie sing the National Anthem, here's Mariah to bless your ears. You're welcome.
10. After taking some years off of producing new music Mariah Carey came back in 2005 and destroyed the charts with the Emancipation of Mimi. Here's her singing one of the number 1's from the album, We Belong Together live on Oprah.
11. OR WHEN SHE TOOK US TO CHURCH DURING THE 2006 GRAMMY'S WITH FLY LIKE A BIRD!!! (Start at 2:04)
12. In 2010, a very pregnant Mariah sang Oh Come All Ye Faithful from her second Christmas album for a special ABC Christmas special live WITH HER MOTHER WHO IS AN OPERA SINGER. LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN. Hearing their styles emerge together is so beautiful.
13. Or in 2013 when she dropped #BEAUTIFUL with Miguel and convinced everyone she went back in time because she looked and sounded like an adolescent.
14. Next to I go to Disney World I want Mariah Carey to be there singing. No ifs ands or buts.
15. After the NYE performance we do not speak of, Mariah came back and gave me the song of good luck I needed for 2018. SHE SANG THIS SONG IN -6 degrees when all the audience members are freezing and shaking bundled up from head to toe WITHOUT HER HOT TEA. I am truly floored.
Thank you for reading, watching, I hope you too are now a lamb (Mariah Carey fan) and if not... leave.